Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

I sold a used utility trailer and on the bill of sale it

Customer Question

I sold a used utility trailer and on the bill of sale it stated sold as is. To day I received a phone call a man claming to be father-in-law to the buyer. Demanding I email him $400.00 stating tires and undercarriage were deficient. My question is what are my legal rights?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I would be happy to assist you with this question.

Given that you clearly sold the item "as is" and they had an opportunity to see it when they bought it, you have no obligation to refund their money or give them any rebate on the price.

As with all transactions, even moreso for private transactions on used goods, the caveat "buyer beware" holds true and is upheld by the courts. A person buying a used item has an obligation to know what they are buying and the terms upon which they are buying it. They also had every opportunity to inspect it prior to completing the transaction.

The only way that you would have any exposure would be if you intentionally misrepresented something. From what you've described, you made it clear that the trailer was sold "as is" and again, the buyer was able to see it before completing the transaction.

I hope that this information has been of assistance to you. I am happy to chat with you further should you need anything else either now, or in the future.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.

Regards

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I see that you were back in and viewed my response, however I do not see a reply posted from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you require anything further as I am happy to chat further.

Also, if you've heard back from them, I'd be interested in knowing how you made out and how the conversation went.

Please remember to leave me a positive rating for the time I have spent with you.

Regards

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know how things have worked out.

Jim