Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My late son-in-law had a credit card first issue in 2001

Customer Question

my late son-in-law had a credit card first issue in 2001 with an extra card for my daughter to use for household purpose son-in-law managed the card online and my daughter never took part of any agreement or term just signed the card and used it as directed. The bank now claims my daughter for the full balance clamming the term is such that in the moment she signed and used the card she become a co-applicant binding her for the full balance. Her husband gave her the card she never signed anything never received copy of agreement or term and never got a statement, and with children she have a hard time – any suggestions what will a judge likely say.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The credit card company is not correct.

Your son-in-law's estate is liable for the debt but your daughter is not.

That is what she should tell them and then say she is happy to have a court decide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can they destroy her credit?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes they can and they will because she doesn't have an account with them and because all this money is owing.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I cannot talk on the phone. The rules of my law society prohibit that as you are not my client.