How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98991
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid $1500CD to court and $1000CD to customs on 1 Sept

Customer Question

I paid $1500CD to court and $1000CD to customs on 1 Sept 2015 for "failure to report" was a small hand gun that I forgot I had in the motorhome which I use primarily for ski trips in remote areas...which, I believe, is a misdemeanor, but that makes me inadmissible into Canada. I have a prepaid trip to Canada (Churchill, Manitoba) on 7 Nov 2015 and a ski trip to Mont-Tremblant,QC for late Dec/15. Is it possible to "rehabilitated status" or whatever, in this short of a time, or should I just accept fact that I will not have access into Canada. I am a Retired Army Surgeon, with a clean record otherwise for past 40 years except for minor traffic tickets.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

You cannot apply for rehabilitaton at this point. You have to wait at leat 5 years and it takes over a year to get this type of application processed.

But you can try and apply for what is called a Temporary Resident Permit. It is how one gets special permission to enter Canada when needed. There is no guarantee you can get this so you should not wait and apply at the border but you should contact the closest Canada visa centre and apply. The cost is $200.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A temporary residential permit looks very there anything else that, like a pardon, to set aside the conviction that I pled "guilty" to due to my clear record, professional history and fact that I did not intentionally falsify responses to the customs agents
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It cannot be done at this point but I don't think that the TRP is hopeless. I would apply for it myself if this were me.

Related Canada Law Questions