Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My question is about Copyright Law: My wife bought a pillow

Customer Question

My question is about Copyright Law:
My wife bought a pillow with the words "Love is All You Need" written across the front. This could be taken as a reference to the lyrics of the Beatles' "All You Need is Love", or the film "Love is All You Need". Is this copyright infringement?
What if someone put the title of a song on a pillow (on purpose) and gave credit to the artist? For example "All You Need is Love - The Beatles". Is this allowed?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If there is a phrase or verse etc that is copyrighted then to use that phrase consent of the author is needed. Giving the author credit is not enough.

Love is all you need is not likely copyrighted as it is a common phrase and I don't think it was first written by the Beatles.