Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My employment at Casino Regina was recently terminated and

Customer Question

Hi - My employment at Casino Regina was recently terminated and the reason supplied on my ROE was "quit". I at no time submitted or asked to resign. I was involved in several texts with my manager about my attendance, and told them I doubted I would be in for the remainder of my shifts. To me, that was job abandonment and was certainly worthy of dismissal for cause, but was in no way a request by me to resign or quit. As a result, since my ROE says I quit, I don't qualify for EI according to the government. Can a company "assume" you have resigned or do they have to have an actual letter of resignation? As I stated, I never ever submitted a letter of resignation. Help!
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the email I sent to my manager :
Brian XXXX
Rob - I don't know if you have checked my attendance figures lately, but I will not be making my suggested goal for this final period. As I understand it, I will probably be terminated because of this and I wanted to let you know I am ok with that. I've been there ten years and it's time for a change. I am no longer happy working at the Casino and can't see my attendance improving a whole lot. That being the case, can we speed the process up? I don't see any point in waiting until the 22nd or whenever to address this. I'd sooner it got done immediately. Can you arrange a meeting for later this afternoon with a union rep? (Ray) Please get back to me on this soon Rob. If I can be fired with an email that would be ok with me too and would mean a meeting would not be necessary. I would come in and clean out my locker today or tomorrow. As I stated earlier, my job gives me no pleasure and it's just hard to face coming to work anymore. Time to move on. Thanks for considering this and I hope you can accommodate my request. Thank you.
Brian XXXX
Security Dept.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Your ROE should be changed as you were dismissed and you did not resign.

But I don't see how that will help with your EI claim as you will not be eligible for EI if you are dismissed for cause either.