Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is intentional character assassination and defamation of

Customer Question

Is intentional character assassination and defamation of character of an employer by a disgruntled terminated employee a criminal offence? This has been ongoing for a month and is obviously intended to have the manager who terminated her discharged by his company.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Aside from this being defamation are there repeated communications about this that are persistent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 30 repeated email communications between the ex employee and one company shareholder, who forwarded all of the back & forth emails to all other shareholders (including myself). I have the entire paper trail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the director / manager who terminated her. I first gave her the courtesy of requesting her resignation so it could be handled in a mature and responsible manner. She refused to resign. I had no choice but to terminate her. This took place July 30th. She was always paid in advance during her time with our company. I paid her in advance for the entire month of August in order that she take care of unfinished business 'in the works'. It was during the month of August that she embarked on the character assassination against me personally
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The defamation issue is really a civil matter and you can certainly consider retaining a lawyer to send her a letter demanding that she cease and desist and that she provide you with a written retraction and apology and threatening damages.

But she is harassing you and that is a criminal offence.

So I do think you should call the police and put in a report and ask that she be charged and placed under a restraining order as she is out of control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what constitutes 'harassment'? I have received about 20 multiple emails in the past week or ten days containing all of the character defamations. Is this harassment?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Harassment is persistent unwelcome communication, so this is classic harassment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very interesting. Thank you for advice ...... Dale
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, I hope this works out.