Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can a Canadian Lawyer do translation of legal documents? Can

Customer Question

Can a Canadian Lawyer do translation of legal documents? Can he write himself as a lawyer if he is working as a legal translator? Is objectionable if he writes himself as lawyer (being a licensed Lawyer) ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

When you say can he write himself as a lawyer what do you mean exactly?

Can I please have a few of the basic facts so I can provide a more meaningful answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A lawyer doing work of legal translation , is he mention his job title as a lawyer or legal translator
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

He has to say if he is a certified translator and he can say he is a lawyer but has obligation to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he not certified translator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Read my first question than reply
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then he can can say that he is a lawyer and translated the document himself but he cannot say more than that and it may not be good enough for the court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is translation done by lawyer acceptable in Canadian court. Is any objection to bar if lawyer adopted the profession of legal translation
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

It will not be acceptable of you protest. It has to be done by someone certified but also not biased so if this is the lawyer representing the party then it is not at all good enough.