Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I gave my employee a business credit card that we both used.

Customer Question

I gave my employee a business credit card that we both used. The statement listed our charges separately. It was a Canadian Tire Credit Card that gave us 10 cents a litre off our gas purchases. Each time we made up her paycheque, we deducted the gas purchases.
The employee charged $401.00 in gas in July and quit the first week of August. I have asked her for the money several times and she doesn't return calls or emails.
I have now paid the credit card. Is this theft?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I don't believe the police will say it is. They will say it is a civil matter because you gave her the card.

But it is grounds to sue her and you can do so in Small Claims Court and self-represent.

I suggest you send her a letter by Registered Mail and give her a deadline to reimburse you and tell her if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and you costs as well.

If that doesn't work your next step would be to sue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - That was exactly my next step - registered letter and then small claims court.Jo-Anne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THank-you - this is helpful
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You suggested that I give a deadline for it to be paid. When I send this registered letter how long should I give the person to pay it?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If you send it today why not give her until the close of business on Friday?