Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What happens if I am off work on sick leave and my union

Customer Question

What happens if I am off work on sick leave and my union goes on strike?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I belong to CUPE 1628 in Ontario and it appears a strike is likely to happen in the near future. My health has not been well for the past several months, and I'm concerned what will happen under 2 scenarios. What if I am on sick leave prior to the strike beginning and what if I went on sick leave during the strike?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what you mean? Are you worried it will look like you resigned or are you concerned about not getting benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's my sick pay and benefits which I am concerned about. Are they suspended during the strike? Is pay reduced to the level of strike pay?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You would be treated the same as the other employees unfortunately. So if their pay is reduced yours would be as well.

But you have to read the collective agreement to be sure as the agreement is the contract that sets out all these rules.