Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I just wonder if texting to to ask about the price through

Customer Question

Hi, I just wonder if texting to prostitute to ask about the price through phone? is it still illegal even though the purchaser didnt meet up with the prostitute and there was no negotiation or deal at all ?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if the purchaser doesn't appeal that he will buy a prostitute and just asks the price, not happened in a public area
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Please do not concern yourself. Prostitution in Canada is LEGAL with some exceptions.

You have nailed one in that it is illegal to talk about prostitution in a public area. That could be on the street, or in a bar but communicating with a prostitute in private by phone, email or text, is not an illegal act.

I would not worry.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean that the police doesn't really care about the inquiry to prostitute by the text? I just heard that the prostitute law has been enforced more strictly.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

The police have a lot of other things to do. They will not care at all.

The current government has tried to tighten the rules but so far police and judges seem to have nothing to do with it.

Two people in private may discuss intimate contact on any terms they like.

Do not worry!

Tom