Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can you be turned down loan based on you criminal past if it

Customer Question

Can you be turned down for a loan based on you criminal past if it was over 10 years ago and was not on any part of the application. I was turned at the last minute because of my past but I have got good credit and moved on with my life.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just about to complete a loan with a company and was all approved credit is good and company is in good standing. At the very last minute they emailed me and said because of my criminal background they can not provide me a loan. There is no where on there application that asks anything about my past it is all based on credit and my company. This really bothers me and wanted to know if this is legal or not or if I can sue them over this cause this is going to cause me a great hardship now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Unless you have been pardoned for the criminal conviction it is lawful for anyone to reject an application you make based on your criminal record. It is only discrimination if you have received a pardon.

I am very sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping to her.