Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a senior, aged 78, in 2006 I was prescribed a

Customer Question

I am a senior, aged 78, in 2006 I was prescribed a medication for restless leg syndrome, by a sleep study Dr. the drug is pamiprexole (Mirapex) I was not informed of any side affects. I noticed that I started to gain weight very rapidly, with no change whatsoever in my eating habits--my whole family are slim, as was I. Than several months later I watched a documenrary on CBCs W5, which was entirely about this drug, & the bad effects it had on many, one of which was unwxplained weight gain--the programme went on to say this had happened to many, & there is now a class action law suit in the US, & many patients have been granted substantial funds.
I gained about 60 lbs in a short time, then developped diabetes, now I have a great deal of trouble walking, & am pretty well house-bound.
I contacted the firm who were handling the lae suit here in Canada, & waas asked to send in a list of all my medications, which my pharmacist did---when I heard back--the firm handling it here is Thompson Rogers, the lead council informed me that I was ineligible, as I was given the generic version of the drug. This was some time ago, but as I get progressively immobile, felt I would maked another attempt--I am on a very small, supplemented pension, so life is hard.
I would love some feeedback on this, as the drug does the same, & I was nor consulted as to whether I wanted the generic version--I thought I was on the real thing. The big problem is that I now am totally dependent on this drug, & the weight just continues to increase----My doctor is talking about the bariatric approach, which frightens me---I worked for weight Watchers for many years,prior, & none of their programmes work for me, & I cannot afford amy of the other types of weight loss programmes----I am becoming quite depressed--can you help me?? Anne Harvey.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Just because you are not eligible for the class action lawsuit doesn't mean you cannot sue. What you are being told is the drug was not made by the company that is being sued.

But you can still sue whomever prescribed the medication to you or the drug company, or both, if you were not told about this potential serious side effect.

You can call Thompson Rogers back and speak to the lawyer you spoke to and ask if they or anyone else they know would be willing to act for you on a contingency fee basis. They will have all the expert evidence they would need to argue on your behalf so that would work out well for everyone.

If they will not then call around to some other firms and see if you can find a lawyer to represent you. I am sure you will be able to find such a lawyer.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their LawyerReferral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and canconsult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

I hope that helps as a starting point.