Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had a car in storage with a friend. The car was taken by

Customer Question

I had a car in storage with a friend. The car was taken by the friend's brother and sold. The car has shown up at a car show with altered VIN plates. (another vehicles) The RCMP claim that I abandoned the car because of the last insurance date being 2001 and that I didn't report it soon enough. The car was removed in 2007. Even though altering vin plates is a crime and has been reported to the RCMP. They have chosen to overlook this aswell. The car is still registered to me with a "normal" status and was no legal transfer by law has occured. In fact I have just reinsured it for parking and liability just to see if I could. I just want my car back it is rare and vintage.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Why did you wait from 2007 until now to deal with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not wait.... I discovered the car missing in 2011 (reported).. And "the friend" disappeared in 2008 and I had tried to find him in order to gain access to move the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told the car was safe and secure in 2008
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are too late to sue this person because the limitation period has now passed.

However, there is another route you can go if the police will not assist you.

You can attend at the Justice of the Peace's office in any criminal court.

You simply walk in, tell the JP's secretary what you want to do, and he/she will give you a form to fill out (basic information and your allegations).

Then after you hand it in, you'll speak to the JP and explain the basis for the allegations.

Then if the JP decides there is enough to lay the information, he/she will schedule a pre-enquete (relatively brief in camera hearing to determine whether or not to proceed).

Be prepared to bring any evidence or witnesses you might have for that.

As well I suggest you retain a lawyer to send a letter to the alleged owner of the car telling him/her that the car is stolen property and that is belongs to you and that you require it back by a deadline that you provide. The owner of the car should be returning the car to you and suing your friend if your friend was the one who sold it to them.