Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My Mother's house was appraised at $205K. It sold for $155K.

Customer Question

My Mother's house was appraised at $205K. It sold for $155K. We paid probate on the $205K and now have asked our lawyer to submit a request for reimbursement which should be in the area of $800. He says its not likely they will reimburse us so he won't send in the request. If it was the other way around the government would be demanding we pay them extra.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your lawyer can bring an application to the court by way of motion to request an order that the probate fees be partially refunded to reflect the actual cost of the sale of the house.

However, there is no guarantee that the court will agree, and at the same time it will cost you more in legal fees than $800 to have your lawyer do this.

It is possible to self represent if you like.