Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I purchased a boat thousand the seller said it was turn key

Customer Question

I purchased a boat for 3 thousand the seller said it was turn key ready turns out it wasn't I've already spent 500$ to have it docked for the remainder of the season, on top of that I've also spent one thousand trying to fix it turns out when they were doing the inspections due to the fact that when I was on the water the boat started taking on water they went to fix the problem to only find that the fuel tank was leaking and the transom is all rotted out, it's going to cost me three thousand to fix so that would make me 4500 out of pocket onto of the three thousand I already payed that's 7500, I've asked the guy to pay me back and take the boat back because he neglected to disclose all the proper information about the boat and he refuses what should my next step be ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Your next step should be to send him a demand letter threatening a lawsuit. Set out the facts, demand a full refund plus damages and provide a deadline. Tell the seller you were materially misrepresented and if you don't get the refund you will commence legal proceedings for the refund, higher damages as you will also sue for loss of enjoyment of the summer and inconvenience, interest and your costs.

You can sue the seller in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further if you find you need some help as you go through the process.