Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am voluntarily Self excluded from all BCLC Casinos in

Customer Question

I am voluntarily Self excluded from all BCLC Casinos in British Columbia. I won $10,000 at the table on a bonus game. In my contract It said I will not be eligible for jackpots but did not specifically state bonus' and the payout should have been right away. Do I have any legal claim to the held funds
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that the wording of your agreement does not cover bonuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not specifically. It says they have the right to refuse payment but I got him to admit on the phone that if I had won the money in a regular hand of blackjack he would've had to pay me but since its a bonus he doesn't have to. ON the hand where i won $10,000 I lost $50 in the black***** *****d
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If your agreement gave them the right to refuse any payments then they have the discretion to refuse the payment.

This is based on contract law. You made a contract and so are bound by it. If the wording is not that clear then it would make sense to have a lawyer read the contract to see if the lawyer sees some way around it.

But based on what you've said you made this agreement to help yourself, gambled anyway and now want to get the money you agreed not to take in an effort to help yourself from gambling so it's hard to see how you can say this is not what the agreement says because the agreement would have no meaning if you can compel them to pay you if you win. Do you see what I mean?