Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I forged my husbands signature as my guarantor on my

Customer Question

I forged my husbands signature as my guarantor on my passport.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. Are you saying you were caught and now want to know what to do?

If so please provide a few more of the basic facts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was caught and they told me to fill out a statement. It was so silly, I am a complete idiot for doing this.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if this will make you feel better but honestly, this is the third question I've had this week about the same issue. The other two forged the guarantor's signatures on the back of the photos because they had failed to do so before hand. In each case no one wanted to do any harm but just wanted to save some time. So I assume this is a common occurrence.

I suggest that you simply tell the truth, show remorse and that is easy as you are clearly sorry you did this, explain why you did and that you truly meant no harm and indicate that it will never happen again. Have your husband provide a statement that says he consented to your signing his signature or at least would have if asked and he would have signed himself of course.

I hope that helps. There is nothing more you can do as they know you did it of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you expect my punishment to be?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I expect it will be nothing so long as you never do this again and I know you won't of course!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you expect them to grant me a passport?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes