Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can a Canadian university rescind offer to a student after

Customer Question

Can a Canadian university rescind offer to a student after the student began taking classes? I received an unconditional offer to a university for transfer. I failed a non-academic, not for credit course during the application process and the grade was only available after I got the offer. They did not ask for my transcript again or that particular course's grade and specifically said my offer was final. There are no conditions or any wording of that matter on the offer. Can the university force me to withdraw after classes begin if it is discovered that I did not get credit for this course?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

When you applied did you tell them that you had a credit for that course?

Are you now short a credit for the program that you are hoping to attend?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not lie or say anything about that course. However, the university should have known I was in the middle of taking that course when I applied in Feb. My transcript (sent in Feb) lists courses I was in the middle of taking --- I was taking that course from Jan to April.
It is not a for credit course, and is not required at all by the university... it is in fact not for academic credit...
It says "not for GPA", "not for Academic Credit " next to it on my transcript legend.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that the university has rescinded the offer, or are you worried that they might?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried that they might if they discover that I failed the course when I start attending the school in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is Ontario Canada)
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If this was a non-mandatory non-credit course then they will not rescind the offer of enrolment. So long as you have the requisite amount of credits for your program and so long as you were honest when you applied and so long as there was no condition set by the university with respect to the offer you should have nothing at all to worry about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One caveat to the situation is that on the application instructions applicants were told to send transcripts again in July. I didn't do that because I called up admissions and they said because I already had enough credits on my February transcript, it is not necessary for me to resubmit my transcript. They also never asked me for my July transcript and went ahead and gave me the final offer.Can the university claim that if they had my July transcript ( the failed course would have most likely been on it) I would have not gotten the offer in the first place --- and thus use this as reasoning to kick me out even after classes start...
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No they cannot because they already told you that they do not need the new transcript.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks! I will give you the highest rating!Last question is : can the university claim that passing every course (even not required not for credit ones) is a bona fide requirement that does not need to be mentioned? Can they say failing the course violated an implicit condition in the offer that was never mentioned?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

No they cannot. That would not make any sense and it is just not what happens. Many take non-credit courses and they are extra and not mandatory. You met the mandatory requirements. You are OK. I an sorry you are so worried.