Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

Ontario Question- Whant are the legat ramifications if I

Customer Question

Ontario Question- Whant are the legat ramifications if I cash an overpaid cheque
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Is it a sizable overpayment? Is this from an employer?

If it's not a big overpayment, and it is your paycheque, then it is understandable to cash it, as you need to pay your bills, and return the overpayment by cheque. Otherwise, you could contact whoever issued the cheque and have them reissue it. There is a possibility that if they noticed the overpayment, they could have put a stop-payment on the cheque, which means the cheque would come back and the funds could be frozen in your account.

The only issue that would arise for you from a legal perspective is if you cashed the cheque, knowing it was too much and then kept the whole thing hoping they wouldn't catch the error. But again, if you cash it, and return the overpayment, then you've not done anything fraudulent, you've merely received what you're entitled to.

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

Please take a moment to leave me a positive rating.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

I see that you were back in and viewed my response, however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information I have provided or whether you require anything further. I am happy to continue chatting if you need anything else at all.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating if you would be so kind.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Have you been able to see my responses?

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I've taken the time to come in here and assist you. I see that you have been coming back in and viewing my posts, however you are not corresponding. Would you please respond and let me know if you have the information you were looking for, if we are done here, or if you need anything further. I'd like to close the question if you need nothing further, but would like to hear from you.

Please let me know, even with just a brief response, since I've taken the time to help you, so that I do not have to keep checking in on this open question.

Jim