Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I forgot to renew my truck insurance was at Hortons and cops

Customer Question

I forgot to renew my truck insurance was at Tim Hortons and cops pulled up behind me in the drive threw they check my plated followed me from the Alberta side of lloydminster I crossed the highway and the pulled me over on sask side. Gave me a ticket 52(1)(a) operate unregistered motor vehicle at $230. Truck towed for 24 hours and a ticket 54 (1) (a) drive uninsured motor vehicle on highway. No payment but have to go to court Oct 6. tickets to Alberta Court house. Wondering if there is anything I can do or should I get representation and if it would just be cheaper to pay it than get a lawyer also if I should just pay it what ever the judge sets it to can I get a court date earlier? Or do they not do that. Cop said judge will set the price at $2875
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

It would make sense to hire a professional paralegal if they do traffic offences in Alberta. This varies from province to province.

Otherwise retaining a lawyer may not make sense unless the lawyer agrees to charge a small fee.

You can try and make a deal when you are in court. Speak to the police officer when you get to court and ask if you can agree to something less so the fine is less. For example, they may drop part of the charge for a guilty plea to another part or to a lesser offence. That is what is generally the approach lawyers and paralegals take.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get a court date earlier is that possible
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Actually you cannot but if a lawyer who knows the crown asks that could happen.