Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I won a civil case in 200/2001 against an individual. Has

Customer Question

Hi - I won a civil case in 200/2001 against an individual. Has the time period expired for me collect on this? I am in British Columbia. At the time of the judgement, the individual could not be found, did not have a job on the books, and did not attend court. I have reason to believe he can now be found.
If it hasn't expired, what would my next steps be?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you never took any steps to enforce the judgment at all then it would be too late as the judgment could only be enforced for up to ten years after the judgment was rendered.

But if you did take steps to enforce the judgment then the 10 year limitation period will not apply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! What would constitute "enforcing the judgement"?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Taking steps to enforce the judgment would include trying to garnish the individual's wages, trying to seize assets such as bank accounts, trying to seize assets and have them sold, registering liens etc.