How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98899
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2 days ago signed with a realtor to have them list my house

Customer Question

2 days ago signed with a realtor to have them list my house and represent me. I realized I have made a mistake in doing so.
Is there a grace period on the contract to annul and get a new real estate agent? If. not what are my options?
I live in British Columbia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you speak to the realtor about this?

Do you not wan them to represent you or do you not want to sell your house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked and the agent is not willing to cancel the agreement. It is for 1 year. I may want to still see my house, but I do not want her to represent me. I now have concerns about the agents ethics as well as her ability to deliver on promises. I have recently been hospitalized and was not thinking clearly when I signed the agreement.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is a binding contract and you cannot change your mind even if you had been in the hospital.

But if she mis-represented something to you then that is a different matter. It is not then changing your mind. It is realizing that the contract does not reflect what you were told it would or that she is not going to deliver what the contract stays.

So call the broker (that is her boss) and explain what happened and say you don't want to work with her. It may be the broker will agree to give you another agent from the same office but not this woman.

If that doesn't work you can have a lawyer send them a letter explaining what happened and threatening a lawsuit to be released from the listing agreement, if necessary.

Related Canada Law Questions