Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can I be charged, or defamation of character this?

Customer Question

Hi, can I be charged for slander, or defamation of character for posting this?
liarscheatersrus.com/steven-boutilier-about-a-small-con-artist.html
Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to review the website, however if you can let me know whether everything you said is true then I can answer your question adequately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it is true, however a lot of course could be "he said, she said" stuff. It really would help if you could go through the article and see if there is something problematic. Thank you!
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am not permitted to do that. We can provide general legal information but cannot analyze the facts.

You would not be charged. You could be sued. The question really is whether you could be sued successfully and a complete defence to being sued for defamation is telling the truth. Defamation is lies that harm someone's reputation.

So if you tell the truth or if you write your opinion rather than stating lies as truths then you cannot be sued successfully.