Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

After Calling the Alberta Health Line we were referred to

Customer Question

After Calling the Alberta Health Line we were referred to Addiction Canada Alberta Foothills Treatment center for my wife's alcohol issues.
According to their website the program starts with a full psychological assessment followed by one on one counseling.
"ADDICTION CANADA FOOTHILLS
Majestic log chalet set in Alberta foothills the very best luxury facility for Addiction Treatment in the country.Intimate and personal with only 12-14 persons maximum thereby focusing more individual than group.Offering a full Holistic treatment program that starts with full psychological assessment followed by a most one on one Addiction therapy program in the country. Also boasts a separate and private medical detoxification unit."
She finished Detox on August 6th and has been in the program for 8 days now at a cost of $500.00 a day. From what I hear she has had one session with a counselor and believes there is on Psychologist on staff.
We signed the following contract;
-----------------
ADDICTION CANADA
FIRST PARTY CONTRACT
I, ***** ***** ______________________ _____in obtaining addiction treatment services for
(Payee’s Name)
_ ***** ***** ________ , hereinafter “the resident”.
(Client Name)
I understand that I, _***** ***** __________ will be attending Addiction Canada Recovery Center and will
(Client Name)
complete the intake process by center intake staff team and Doctor of Addiction Canada Recovery Center
I further understand that treatment does not guarantee success and I acknowledge that I am obligated to pay for the invoice period of ___30 days_________, upon entry. I am aware that Addiction Canada issues invoices in advance for treatment and accept that payment is due before the commencement of treatment. I am not entitled to a refund for early withdrawal or expulsion from the Recovery Program. I acknowledge that Addiction Canada may expel me for breach of the Addiction Canada Recovery Center rules.
I wish to contract with Addiction Canada for a period of __30____ days.
Non payment of an invoice by the due date will result in cancellation of this contract, and/or refusal of admission to, or expulsion from, the residential program at the Addiction Canada Recovery Center
Accepted this __3rd________ day of___August________, 2015
____________________ _____________________ _____________________ _______________________
(Signature) (Print Name) (Addiction Canada) (Print Name)
INSURANCE: It is the responsibility of the client to determine eligibility for re-imbursement of any fees which will be paid for treatment at Addiction Canada Recovery Center. Addiction Canada may help to facilitate the process of identifying whether or not the client will receive re-imbursement from their insurance provider. It is the responsibility of the client to make financial arrangement for any medications and/or prescriptions.
Billing Information **A 3% charge will be added to credit card payments over $5,000.00**
Bill To
Terms: Treatment for substance abuse
$ 15,000.00_________FOR__30___DAYS
$_ including_ _________ FOR DETOX
$ 0.00_________ PRIVATE ACCOMODATIONS
$__750.00___ ________ FOR HST
$ 15,750.00___________ TOTAL
$_5,000.00___________ DEPOSIT
$ 10,750.00____________ TOTAL OWING
Paid in advance and non-refundable
Admission date
Please make cheque payable to(###) ###-####Ontario Inc. *****Aurora, Ontario L4G 1C3
Tel. 1-***-***-****
-----------------
I am traveling to see her on Sunday and would like to know what the possibility is of getting out of this contract so I can take her somewhere else. As the Government of Alberta referred me can they be held liable as well?
Not sure what to do shem (My Wife in treatment) is keeping a diary of day to day activities and events. Is there something more we should be doing? Is there questions I should ask when I go there? Its not just the $15000 we took out of our retirement at stake. She is a teacher and took 3 months leave to attend the program and focus on her recovery, If she fails to get the help she needs she may loose her $98000.00 a year job.
I look forward to your advice and suggestions,
Thank you in advance,
Roger Wogan
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying she is not getting what she paid for and that there is not the daily one on one counseling they promised?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what I am saying. No daily one on one and no full psychological assessment. They don't seem to have a psychologist. Just a few counselors and a few volunteers. Her assigned counselor on works 3-4 Days a week.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you are correct then they have breached their contract with your spouse and you can sue for a refund plus damages. If she cannot go back to teaching this year because of a delay in treatment because of their breach of their contract then your spouse would have a case to sue for damages as well.

I suggest you have a lawyer ready to send them a letter threatening a lawsuit and send that letter as soon as your spouse decides to withdraw from the program. But be sure your suspicions are correct or you won't be able to sue successfully.

I don't believe you would ever be able to sue the government successfully for recommending this place but see what the lawyer says who is actually going to be your lawyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please recommend a lawyer in Red Deer Alberta? Also what would the cost be approximately? Do we pay upfront or after we have settled.....your recomendations please...
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I cannot make a recommendation but what you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their LawyerReferral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and canconsult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-****

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

The lawyer will likely require you to pay a retainer upfront but speak to several lawyers and see what you can work out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After checking the accreditation I received a phone call from Addiction Canada. The full psychiatric review was filled out by a counselor and the person who called is licensed a licensed Psychiatrist in Ontario but not Canada. He claims a counselor can do the full psychiatric report as long as he approves it. Does that sound normal?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. You can ask your family doctor.