Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have an American student loan that is hurting me

Customer Question

I have an American student loan that is hurting me financially. I am Canadian, living in Canada. Not sure what to do. I was advised by American Lawyer that the path of least residence would be to just stop paying my loans but he advised a second opinion from Canada. Any suggestions?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The law in Canada doesn't really apply here.

All I can explain is what will happen if you are sued.

If you are sued in the U.S. the judgment can be enforced here. It can be registered with a Court and then will have the same force as if it was rendered in Canada. That means your wages can be garnished or your assets seized.

But I don't know what happens in the US and whether you will be sued or not. That is what the US lawyer should be telling you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't rate your service because your answer brought up a whole whack of questions. Do you have any suggestions on who I can contact for further help on this matter?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to rate me until we are done.

What are your questions that relate to the law in Canada?

In terms of whom you can contact do you mean in the US? If not I am not sure what you mean so just explain a bit more.