Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What is the return policy on a new $36,000 camper that was

Customer Question

What is the return policy on a new $36,000 camper that was financed? I bought a camper 2 weeks ago & multiple things wrong with it, fridge didn't work first trip. Just wondering if I can return it or am I stuck with it ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Is this a new camper or a used one?

Was this bought from a dealer or privately?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New from a dealer
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What has the dealer said so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my way there now
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then here is the law quickly.

You cannot change your mind when there is a valid binding contract. But in your case you clearly did not get what you paid for. In fact in court you would argue that the dealer breached his contract with you.

So tell that to the dealer now and you can say that you got some legal information already and if necessary your next step will be to retain a lawyer. You need a new trailer or a full refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer is telling me to give them a chance to make it right, in other words they will fix the problems. Took it out twice & had problems each time. After the first time,I brought it back they fixed the items I told them didn't work. Picked it up and they didn't fix anything. Said they changed parts in the fridge & some other problems we had. When we got out the second time same problems, seemed like nothing was fixed. Took it back & said I was not interested in keeping it. They seem like they are trying to drag it out. Is there a time limit of a return in Alberta ? It's been 17 days since purchase.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

It's not about time limits because you don't have the option to return unless you didn't get what you paid for and then there is no limit.

But the real point is that you don't want something that is supposed to be perfect because it is brand new and instead it is faulty so they don't get the option of repairing something repeatedly that should not have been broken to begin with.