Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have recently been let go from my job because I broke my

Customer Question

I have recently been let go from my job because I broke my finger in a work injury and was then considered a hazard to the shop. I had completed m 6 week modified work period (Dr.'s orders) and 3 days after I was cleared to go back to work I was told I no longer had a job. I was told my ROE would state I was laid off due to lack of work, but the real reason was I was a hazard to the shop they just didn't want to put that on the ROE. The following Monday they hired 4 new employees one of which was to fill my place. The date I was terminated was July 19th and I still have not received my ROE and it hasn't been submitted electronically. I had only been employed there for 84 days. In my opinion a lot of the reason why I was fired was because I am a female welder in a shop full of males. My injury was one of many similar injuries and I was the only one that lost their job because of it. I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this because I feel I was wrongfully dismissed as well as have a concern for safety for the remainder of the employees that work in the shop as they all have fear of reporting workplace injuries incase they too lose their jobs. Any information would be great thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are there other females there?

Are you saying they believe you got hurt because you are a woman?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no other female welders currently in the shop. No I don't feel I got hurt because I am a woman I feel as if I was let go and not givin another chanced because I am a woman
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Of course you and I don't think you got hurt because you are woman. I was asking if they thought you got hurt for that reason. Did they say anything like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't say that they thought that's why I got hurt no but I was told by multiple people including some of the foreman that If I was a male I would have been givin a second chance.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Then it seems clear that you should file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission. This is discrimination based on your gender and it is unlawful.

There are no other female welders at this workplace and that is evidence that your allegations are likely correct but the comments made by others, presumably males, are very strong evidence.