Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am trying to find information on the succession of my

Customer Question

I am trying to find information on the succession of my father's estate.
He passed in 1989.I understand he did not have a will and I believe the succession laws in Quebec, would indicate that 1/3 of the estate would go to each my step mother, my brother and myself.
I have researched online with the***@******.***, and went to the web site:https://www.rdprm.gouv.qc.ca. I filled out the information with both my father's Canadian first name: George, and received no results- I tried again with his German given name: Rheinhold- and still no results (after $18. on the web site)not even information about his second marriage,
His full name on his passport read George X. XXXXXXXXXX. b. February XX, XXXX.
I am interested in finding out how the estate was, and should have been distributed after his death- October 1988.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My step mother took over the estate after my father's passing. She has made no effort to sell the property. It is in Rosemere, Quebec.
XXX XXXXXX XXXX, XXXXXXXX, XXXXXX, XXX XXX
The lot number of the XXX XXXXXX XXXXXX-XXXX is XXXXXXX.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I cannot do the work but can explain what needs to be done. Should I go ahead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please explain to me what should be done.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if your father had any assets in his name alone at the time of his death?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our home: XXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXX _ and other assets, I beleive, I am not familiar with
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

So are you saying that you believe that his name has remained on this home all this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, In the succession, I believe the home was passed on, but my Step mother has lived there ever since 1989. As there was no formal will, I believe, that my farther's estate was to be distributed equally to my step mother, my brother and myself. My step mother at the time apparently told the person in charge, that neither my brother nor I were willing to come to the event, and since that time, she has not discussed the succession with either my brother, not myself.
Have I not been clear? You mentioned you could explain to me what my actions should be, however, that does not seem to be the case.