Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My wife works clinic and presently is in a medical leave

Customer Question

My wife works for government clinic and presently is in a medical leave renewed every six weeks by our family docotr as her health condition does not allow her to go back to work now , her salary is paid now by what is called (assurance salaire) , my question is while she is in her medical leave can she travel for a short period according to the advice of her doctor? thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Is there something in the policies with work or her insurers that says she must be available for examinations when asked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She already was asked once to be checked by the government doctor and she showed up and no further investigation was required. My point if the family doctor is recommending a getaway in order to improve her physical and psychlogical condition which may accelerate her return to work , is legally valid against any bad decissions taken by her administration to stop paying her salary and pushing her to return to work . Your fast response is appreciated.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

There is no way to know what is best.

On the one hand she is not saying she is able to work but has no work which would be in the case of her getting EI. But on the other hand it is easy to see how the employer would say that she can work if she can travel.

So there is just no one clear answer.

If she goes away and is caught either because the employer wants to see her or she has to get an examination then she can produce a report from the doctor.

She can also have someone else call assurance salaire anonymously and ask what the general rules are.