Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband of one year beat me so I had m arrested. He has

Customer Question

My husband of one year beat me so I had him arrested. He has also had an affair which I walked in on. We have been living in his house since Oct/2013. I have spent several thousands of dollars renovating the home. What am I entitled to financially from a divorce? I was not allowed access to his funds and he made me pay $800 a month for rent.
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. Did you live together first and if so for how long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved into his home Oct/2013
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were married on August 15,2014
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You will not be entitled to much by way of asset division. The relationship, including the marriage and the time of cohabitation, was very short.

If you contributed to the value of the house that would count to some extent perhaps. That is particularly the case because you were paying rent as well.

At the very most and it's a long shot, you would share in the increase in value of the house over the course of the relationship. Or you could at least get the costs for the renovations back.

I am very sorry this happened to you and that you are in this difficult situation.