Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am a practicing physician (internist/ Gastroenterologist)

Customer Question

Hello, I am a practicing physician (internist/ Gastroenterologist) wishing to immigrate to Canada. I have over 20 yrs. of practice experience in the field and am certified by the American board of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. What would be required further if I want to move there in terms of licensure and opening my business/ practice in British Columbia or anywhere else in Canada.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM 66 YRS. OLD NOW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YU CAN CALL ME AT XXX XXX XXXX OR ON MY CELL AT XXX XXX XXXX. ALTERNATIVELY I CAN CALL YOU AT A NUMBER YOU WANT ME TO
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
The answer options available in other countries are not available in Canada for lawyers to have personal consultations. We are not allowed to offer specific advice unless retained and open a file etc.
However, we need doctors. Alas, we have doctors driving taxi for a living in this country because they cannot get their credentials accepted. Here s a link to the BC College of Physicians who are the licencing body. You should contact them directly.
https://www.cpsbc.ca/for-physicians/registration-licensing
I expect that your US credentials will be more accepted than from other countries.
But, you also have to fit in a category of entry into Canada. If you have family here that would sponsor you that is one thing. On your own, I am thinking the Skilled category. Here is a link...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
Your age may be a problem. We have a universal health care system here and many people would love to spend their final years with medical coverage. Ironically, again, we need doctors.
First, I would contact the Registrar at the BC College. That will give you an idea of what you are up against as far as credentials all across Canada. Then, you need to consult your own immigration lawyer.
Here is a link to the lawyer referral service. Call and ask for immigration lawyers. You will be given a few names who have agreed to charge a mere $25 for a consultation and some do not even bother. You may consult with one or all as you please. I realize these consultations will be by telephone.
http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Lawyer-Referral-Service
As a professional I hope you understand that I cannot diagnose here but only point you in the right direction.
If you require any clarification, please advise. Otherwise, please consider rating my answer well for my sincere considered opinion.
I wish you good luck. We should be glad to have you here but there are politics.
Sincerely,
Tom
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you require more information?

If not, please rate my answer well so this professional gets some credit :)

Tom

Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor! Is there anything else I can do for you to rate my answer well??

Tom

Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Please consider rating my answer well