Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can I be compensated 304 hours of lost wages that I lost to

Customer Question

Can I be compensated for the 304 hours of lost wages that I lost to do Power of attorney duties for my mother?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What does the POA say about fees if anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesnt say about fee's in the POA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work up North and to do stuff for my Mom I had to book a week of work off 4 times the loss of income really added up for me. My Mom has the financial resources to make good the wages that I had to give up to help her and do what she needed, it also involved me moving from her one Province to another. All I would be seeking is approx $6400 that would be the after tax dollars that I would have received.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Is your mother mentally incompetent at this point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her short term memory is gone but other than that she is very healthy, I have to pay all her bills and do everything financial stuff for her which is everything.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Is she able to amend the POA to say you can get fees and even set out what they are?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think she can change her POA. Nothing inside it says I cannot get fee's all I want to be reimbursed for is my lost income if I hadnt had to look after everything for her I would not have lost out on so many hours of work, with her being in one Province and me in another it really added up time going back and forth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As for my job up north I had to give up four 77 hour shifts because you just cant take a day off to do things, my employer was great about giving me the time off and all but in the end it has really hit me hard finacially.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can charge a reasonable fee but that doesn't mean you can charge what you would be earning at work.

And you have to let the Public Guardian and Trustee know what you are charging if there is no one else to let know as the POA didn't provide for this.

I suggest you call the Public Guardian and Trustee to discuss before taking any fees.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
who is the Public Guardian or Trustee?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Here is it the contact information:

Public Guardian and Trustee

Telephone Number:
FAX:(###) ###-####br />***-***-****

Mailing Address:
Email Address:
100 -***** Regina, SK, Canada, S4P 4W4
*****@******.***

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You I just called them.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Were they able to give you the information you needed?