Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A reputable car dealership in calgary has provided me with

Customer Question

A reputable car dealership in calgary has provided me with outdated carproof report on a vehicle which i just found out had 21,000.00 colision clame on it. Car proof was dated Ocotober 2014, collision occured December 2014, i've bought the car April 2015.
What can i do, and what should i request?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This is clearly not acceptable.

You simply did not get what you paid for and it sounds like you were materially misrepresented.

Here is what I suggest:

What you do first is you send a letter to the dealer setting out your position so this is now down in writing.

If that doesn't work you go to head office for the dealership.

If that doesn't work you can file a complaint with AMVIC:

http://www.amvic.org/

And you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/562.cfm

If none of that works you can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent.

If it gets that far you can always post on this site again and I can assist you as you go through the process if you find you need some help from time to time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Legal Ease,What do you think i can ask ? it is a 50000 dollar car and damage is 21000. Shouls i be asking for a replacement free of charge? When i bought the car i had 10000 negative equity in my older car but now they calim it was 14,000 negative (the did thinks behind the scenese that i was not aware of). I just need to know what would be reasonable to request, can i request for them to take the car back and i will buy a different car from them without any negative equity ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will it be possible for you to draft up a letter for me? I will provide you with the copy of the car proof reports (most recent and the one they showed me)
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You can sue for up to $25,000 in Small Claims Court and so it would make sense not to sue for more than that because then you have to sue in Superior Court and then would need to retain a lawyer.

I am not able to write the letter as that is prohibited by the rules of the site and my law society but you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or
***-***-**** in Calgary

So you can meet with the lawyer, discuss what you will demand and then pay the lawyer to write the letter.

And you can most assuredly demand a full refund and the opportunity to buy a different car from them or demand a specific sum of money by way of damages.