How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98010
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a first time offender charged with &e and theft under

Customer Question

I am a first time offender charged with b&e and theft under 5000. I had returned all the stolen property and turned myself in. what is the maximum penalty ? should I get a lawyer ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have enrolled myself into rehab for drug and alcohol addiction as I was inebriated at the time and Im normally not on to break the law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Yes, it would be best for you to at least consult with a criminal lawyer face to face before proceeding. In fact, it would have been by far better for you to have had the consultation before you turned yourself in. As you have made restitution and as you have come forward voluntarily and as you are seeking rehabilitation and as this is your first offence it is exceedingly unlikely, in fact it is essentially not within the realm of possibility that you would be receiving the maximum sentence.

It would be useless for me to provide you with the maximum sentences because it would simply cause you to be terrified, but unreasonably so, because the maximum sentence is unreasonable for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright thank you very much. Have you heard of many cases like this ? I am very terrified. what do you think will happen to me ? I am 24 years old
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I understand why you are terrified, and you should make that clear to your lawyer and to the crown that you are terrified and exceedingly remorseful and that is why you came forward, and that is why you made restitution, and that is why you are going into rehab.

I think that you will not get a serious sentence and that it could be something like probation, but this is something for your own lawyer to advise about.

I am sure that there are plenty of cases like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does probation entail ? im going to make a plea does that sound correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will my name be revealed as well ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Probation would mean you would have certain conditions to meet.
You cannot consider making a plea bargain without your own lawyer.
This will all be in open court but it's not likely that it will be in the media.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to get a lawyer or else i am at the mercy of the courts ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You have to get a lawyer as the consequences are too serious not to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
understood. Thank you. Is there any other advice i can get from you regarding this situation or a lawyer
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What you can do to find a lawyer is contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

I hope this help, and I hope you can work this out.

Related Canada Law Questions