Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What are the requirements to apply on humanitarian grounds

Customer Question

what are the requirements to apply for residency on humanitarian grounds in canada
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner and i are in the process of applying for spousal sponsorship - he is canadian citizen, i am british. Our relationship have broken down. I am currently in canada with him and we have a 16 month old daughter whom we both love dearly and have close relationships to. If i were to return to the UK with my daughter she will be separated from her father. i will not have legal status in the country if we withdraw our sponsorship application. Can I apply for residency on the basis of humanitarian or compassionate grounds and if so how do i go about doing so? Do i need to withdraw the spousal sponsorship application?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You cannot continue with the spousal application if you are separated.

I would say you have a good chance of succeeding.

You should read this webpage and in particular see what they say about the best interests of the child.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/hc/processing/index.asp