Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I am very interested in immigrating to Canada from the UK. I

Customer Question

I am very interested in immigrating to Canada from the UK. I understand I need to do a Language test. Can you suggest the best ones to do? Can it be done online? What would be my next step after this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Proficiency in either English or French is required only in certain types of entry. We have many immigrants that can't speak either language.
To start, here is a quiz that assists in determining what class you may qualify for....
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
If for instance you qualify for a skilled immigrant entry, proof of language proficiency is required for obvious reasons as you have to be able to function. Here is information on that process with how to prove that proficiency.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp
Outside of that, an appropriate level of understanding of either official language is not required until an application is made for citizenship which is after you have arrived here as a resident so nothing to concern yourself about at this point.
I hope that has assisted you. If you need more information, kindly advise. Otherwise, please consider rating my answer well.
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Tom