Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can I drive to Canada with my passport and take some

Customer Question

Can I drive to Canada with my passport and take some household goods to my friend..and where are the border crossings? (I will be going from TN)
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I can only answer the legal aspects. Should I go ahead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Are you planning to visit with your friend and give them those goods? Or what is the plan, exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am planning to visit my friend and give him the goods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go to an appointment...please send answer to email and I will contact you later...thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If you are planning to leave these goods in Canada then you will have to declare them at the border crossing and pay duty on their value.

The bigger issue you may have is proving to the border service officer that you are not intending to move to Canada yourself. As you are a US citizen (I am assuming that) you do not need a Visa to visit Canada but, if you are suspected as being someone who is planning to move to Canada without legal status you will be turned away at the border. For this reason, it is vital that you be prepared to show strong ties to home. Be prepared to show proof of employment, proof of a home, family, and other ties to the community.

Let me know if you need any further information.