Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Can I go back to my maiden name after my husbands death???

Customer Question

can I go back to my maiden name after my husbands death???
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. Name changes can be complicated. What province are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saskatchewan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it taking so long i am getting scared i will loose my money
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I don't do phone calls. It doesn't help you. By writing, we're both clear on what's been communicated and you can refer to it later at any time.

The death of a spouse is certainly a triggering event for a name change. You should have no problem changing your name.

Go to this government publication and look at pages 6-7which give some basic information on how to go about it. http://www.crcvc.ca/docs/How%20do%20I%20change%20my%20name.pdf

In some provinces, changing a name needs the permission of the authorities. It appears that in Saskatchewan, the death of a spouse will allow you to change the name without any serious difficulty.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Your deposit is still being held by the site. No need to worry.

Anything else about this you'd like to discuss? If so then please reply. If we're finished, then I'll ask you to please rate the service positively so that I get credit for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i get my money back as i see it is free
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Your money is still on deposit. You can get it back by asking customer service for a refund. Or you can keep it for when you want to ask other questions, or you can spend it by rating the service so that the site and expert share the fee. It's up to you. The site runs on the honour system that satisfied customers will pay for professional attention and then come back.