Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm in a condo and am replacing my furnace. I want to vent

Customer Question

I'm in a condo and am replacing my furnace. I want to vent it out the front to my carport because to vent out the back costs more and requires my deck be torn out and ceiling in the finished part of the basement taken down. There are other units vented in the front but the board is denying me.what can they do if I vent out front
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What is their reasoning for agreeing to allow others to do this but not you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently they didn't ask permission although with the number of units I saw with the vents out front I can't imagine all of them did so without asking.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The law is that the condo corp, ie, the Board, has a duty to treat all owners the same. They are required to enforce the by-laws fairly and consistently. So they cannot treat you differently than other owners.I suggest you tell them that and essentially threaten to retain a lawyer, or, do retain a lawyer and have the lawyer threaten a lawsuit. They may very well back down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they continue to refuse what are my next steps? If I were to go ahead anyway, as I am without AC until I have it fixed, what could they do?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Your next step would be to sue them. If you go ahead they could make you rip it out so I don't suggest you do that, at least not before consulting with your own lawyer face to face.