Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am the only tenant on the agreement with my landlord. (A

Customer Question

I am the only tenant on the agreement with my landlord. (A corporation) I have 2 roommates who sometimes pay their rent to me and sometimes they email it directly to the company. (The corporation is aware I have 2 roommates) I also have a "roommate agreement" with them.
I asked one of them to leave after failing to pay rent. I used her last months rent as a security deposit. She recently sought out legal counsel and is saying because she paid rent directly to the corporation she has gained legal rights and I can not evict her they way I did.
Does how the landlord receive payment give my roommate rights under the landlord and tenant board act? She was in default of rent and almost got us evicted.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The lawyer is not correct. You are her landlord. She is a sub-tenant. She is not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act as she shares the premises with the landlord.