Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

There I'm just curious if I can be charged responding to

Customer Question

hi there I'm just curious if I can be charged responding to an email to someone.. this is what happen a guy that lives in nova scotia and I were having sex for the past five years.. I was made at him at the moment and texted that Im going to email your wife.. this guy has been married for five years.. this guy is saying that he has enough information to charge me for black mail or asstorshionist im to too sure if that right we both agreed even thought he's married we want sex.. his wife emailed me as well as called me at work may I respond with out getting charged???? plese help
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
It sounds like the situation is a mess.
Any person who contacts another person who does not want contact can be charged with criminal harassment. The elements of the offence include that the unwanted contact is repeated and that the sender knew or ought to have known that the contact was upsetting.
Halting all contact is the best bet.
I do not know what blackmail or extortion has to do with it but obviously, contacting anyone again may place you in peril.
I suggest no further contact at all no matter how tempted you may be.
You should have a sit down with a criminal lawyer if you want to again contact either of them.
You are obviously at risk of a complaint if not a criminal charge if you contact them again even to make a good point. These people do not want to hear from you so I suggest doing nothing without seeking advice from your own lawyer.
Sincerely,
Tom