How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There I'm just curious if I can be charged responding to

Customer Question

hi there I'm just curious if I can be charged responding to an email to someone.. this is what happen a guy that lives in nova scotia and I were having sex for the past five years.. I was made at him at the moment and texted that Im going to email your wife.. this guy has been married for five years.. this guy is saying that he has enough information to charge me for black mail or asstorshionist im to too sure if that right we both agreed even thought he's married we want sex.. his wife emailed me as well as called me at work may I respond with out getting charged???? plese help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the situation is a mess.
Any person who contacts another person who does not want contact can be charged with criminal harassment. The elements of the offence include that the unwanted contact is repeated and that the sender knew or ought to have known that the contact was upsetting.
Halting all contact is the best bet.
I do not know what blackmail or extortion has to do with it but obviously, contacting anyone again may place you in peril.
I suggest no further contact at all no matter how tempted you may be.
You should have a sit down with a criminal lawyer if you want to again contact either of them.
You are obviously at risk of a complaint if not a criminal charge if you contact them again even to make a good point. These people do not want to hear from you so I suggest doing nothing without seeking advice from your own lawyer.

Related Canada Law Questions