Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I would like to know if a will is deemed void in Ontario as

Customer Question

I would like to know if a will is deemed void in Ontario as it was signed by only one witness and not two and the plaintiff signed off on the government paper saying he understood that....can that person contest or go after with litigation 5 years after
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand. What did the plaintiff agree to exactly?And what is happening now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Essentially my sister passed away 5 years ago...her will stated her boyfriend could stay in the condo she owned and bought as long as he wants and once he passed away the condo would go to my son...the will was deemed not legal by Province of Ontario law as when she wrote it she did it by herself and only had one witness sign it...when she did pass away the plaintiff signed a 'renuviation of prior right ' form....he has now moved out and wants money from my parents as when the will was deemed not legal all assets went to my parents. My question essentially is does he have any legal claim? My parents followed the will to a tee and gave everyone what she wrote...it was always the understanding the condo would go to my son but he could stay there...was poorly worded and written
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry 'renunciation of prior right'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will i je getting a response back or no?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Did she write the Will completely by hand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was typed out not written by hand
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how he has any claim. If the Will was not valid then your parents inherit. And if it is then your son gets the condo. So he has no rights any way we look at it.