Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

If a reference check reveals an old crime that in the 1960's

Customer Question

if a reference check reveals an old crime that in the 1960's resulted in a 'warning' but today would add the offender to the sex offenders list will or can the individual be put on the list
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
No. That cannot happen.
What do you mean by a reference check?
More facts please.
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am considering purching a home in a mobile home park they say all purchasers need to be approved by them and they require 72 hours and $400 to do a background check. I believe this is through as it is near a air force base. My concern is if he police check reviles the offence if they (the police) can put me on the sex offenders list because of the old crime.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I do not believe that can happen.
You do not have an old crime conviction. Obviously something happened and you were warned whether you agreed to the circumstances or not. But that is not a conviction that can be registered.
In order to be registered, a court must have received a guilty plea or a conviction after a trial. Otherwise, it is a mere accusation that cannot be registered.
On your facts, I do not see a worry.
Sincerely,
Tom