Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it legal tenant within manitoba to be living in a

Customer Question

Is it legal for a tenant within manitoba to be living in a house where the landlord is being paid by a 3rd party and there has been no documentation or agreement seen or signed by the tenant who is 18 years of age or older?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you mean exactly Are you the landlord or the tenant?What are the basic facts and what do you want to do exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tenant is my girlfriend. I just moved in with her from alberta. Even before I moved in the landlord never had the time to get a lease signed or document that she is living here. My girlfriend is on living assistance, and she discovered today that she will lose her funding at the end of the week if I'm still living here. She has never seen a document with the rules or conditions of her funding before today. She has not signed a lease making the situation seem very iffy at best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong that's what your here for. If she has not signed a lease and the "landlord" is getting money does that not make this an illegal suite? And by association the money being sent an illegal transaction?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
There is no legal requirement to have a written lease. There can be a verbal tenancy agreement. So the tenancy is valid. The money being sent is not illegal. Any tenant can have someone else pay the rent. That's what I do for my adult children when they are away at school. An illegal suite is when there is a by-law that is breached. But the real issue is that your girlfriend should be told what the conditions are for her assistance and that is what is not fair or right here. She should call her worker tomorrow and ask.