Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I received a F-4-1 Family Claim on 5 June Support of a Child that I do not belie

Customer Question

I received a F-4-1 Family Claim on 5 June for Child Support of a Child that I do not believe is mine (non-married). I live in Washington State, the girl making the claim lives in Kelowna.
I responded with a Counter Claim on 6 July (5 July was a Sunday), but did not realise that I had to submit payment along with the paperwork.
I received notification of such on 23 July, and on 24 July, I received a F-31 Form stating that a hearing would take place on 29 July. I'm at a complete loss right now as to what to do.
I don't have the money to pay a retainer for a family lawyer.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What did you want to counter claim for? Have you asked for a paternity test? Do you know anyone who lives in Kelowna, BC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I submitted a counterclaim for that I do not believe that she is my daughter, and there has been on paternity test. I live in Seattle. I offered to get a DNA test kit split/sent to both parties for testing.I do not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has been no paternity test (sorry, not 'on')
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
When you put in this reply, did you serve it on this woman and then file a copy with the court? And then did you find out that you had to pay a filing fee? If so, did you pay the fee when you found out that you had to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I submitted my response on the 6th of July (30 days was the 5th of July, which was a Sunday) to both the court in Kelowna and to the woman. I did not receive a response about the filing charges until the 23rd of July, and was planning on submitting the fees/re-filing today (27 July)On the 24th, I received a Notice of Application stating that a court date of 29 July had been set.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Pay whatever fees are owing right away and contact the court and state that you are out of the country and that you cannot attend court in person and wish to attend court by way of web or telephone conference. Explain that you cannot afford a lawyer and do not know anyone in Kelowna to assist you, and that the only way that you can protect your rights is by telephone or web conference. What you have to do is deny paternity and demand that she obtain a paternity test. You should also demand that, if you are correct, she must pay the full costs of the test and also ask for your legal costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to file a counterclaim (form F5), or just a response (form F4)?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You just need to do a response.