Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Maybe, mu husband with permission did a quick fix on a "friends"

Customer Question

maybe, mu husband with permission did a quick fix on a "friends" bike then he said my husband ruined a lot more then what he touched. They took the bike there choice to a mechanic...saying my husband should pay the bill.They have cd's of ours including ones that cant be replaced and wont give them back til my husband pays the bill. First they said it was 200 bucks now its up to 400 bucks. I believe its blackmail. Should they not give our property back and then if they want then take us to small claims court.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. If they want the money they should be suing you a small claims court. And, you are also correct that they do not have the right your CDs.Unfortunately, your only remedy is to sue them in small claims court as well, as it is not likely that the police will assist you in retrieving your CDs though you can certainly try.You can send them a demand letter, giving them a deadline for returning the CDs and telling them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking your costs.You can self-represent in small claims court and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on the site again and I can assist you further.You should know that once you sue them there is no doubt that they will also counterclaim can sue you for the money they say that you owe.But, I don't see any other way to get this resolved.