Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a sole proprietor currently working under contract. The

Customer Question

I am a sole proprietor currently working under contract. The original contract had a definitive start date and no end date. I negotiated an end date of December 31/2015. The contract was to run for 12 months. My monetary fee has been being paid biweekly until now. Recently, I was approached by the people who I have the contract with and told they are terminating the agreed upon salary effective two weeks. My question is whether or not this is possible because the contract is supposed to continue until the end of December?
There is no termination clause or stipulation involved in the original contract
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
This would be an unlawful termination and it would be a breach of their contract with you.That means that you can sue them breach of contract and seek damages to place yourself back in the position you would have been in had the contract not been breached.As your next step I suggest that either you or a lawyer acting for you send a letter to the people you have the contract with threatening a lawsuit if they do not adhere to the terms of the contract.I'm sorry that this is happening to you.