Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have recently terminated my employment because I have become

Customer Question

I have recently terminated my employment because I have become physically I'll put on antidepressants due to how I was treated by my manager. I was threatened to not make her angry or she would destroy me with her words. It got to the point I could do nothing right, pulled into her office daily and reprimanded. I spoke with human resources on numerous occasions which just made the situation worse. I requested a transfer that was ignored. Is there any type of legal action that can be taken? I have all this documented.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. The situation does sound like this may be a case of constructive dismissal.When an employer does something that fundamentally changes the nature of the employment so that it drives the employee to quit, this may be a case of constructive dismissal. This is usually the case when the employer reduces wages, cuts hours etc. It is also the case where the employer's conduct makes it intolerable for the employee to continue working.If an employee does quit under these circumstances then the law is that constructive dismissal is wrongful dismissal and the employer will be liable for damages.Generally the damages would be equal to what you would receive had you been dismissed without cause. If that had been the case you would have been entitled to receive "reasonable" notice or pay in lieu of notice.Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.