How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple who share 50% custody (1 week/ 1 week) with the biological

Customer Question

A couple who share 50% custody (1 week/ 1 week) with the biological mother. ( approx age 6-8) want to rent a house from me however this is about 30-45 minutes driving distance further then where they currently live ( and from the biological mother). My question is: is it possible for the mother to legally block them from moving and if so what is the likelihood? If it is not incredibly likely I will just write a clause into their lease so they can get out of it if the mother is successful. ( they are high quality tenants and I am motivated to have them rent from me)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It is not possible for me to know whether the father can move with the child this far away. I would need to see the separation agreement or court order. It is possible that she can stop him but it may be that this has already been worked out or that he is going to drive the child to school each day and not disrupt the child's life in any way. The mother could not stop them from moving but could just stop them from moving with the child. If they sign a fixed term lease they would be on the hook for the full term regardless of what happens with the child.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just a quick follow up. The sep. agreement does not contain terms for custody. As far as I know there would be no disruption to the child's life ( same school etc). Given these parameters can you give me a rough percentage chance on likelihood of success the mother may have in blocking this move?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The mother may be successful because it may not be considered to be in the best interest of the child to be moved that far away from the child's community and school, so you are taking a chance. To give you a rough percentage would simply be guessing.

Related Canada Law Questions