Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother lived and died in Scotland and has left me a moderate

Customer Question

my mother lived and died in Scotland and has left me a moderate amount of money. As I live in Canada, do I pay taxes here as well as to the British government?>
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I can only answer about the law in Canada. Should I go ahead? I can move this question to the UK law list, but no one there can provide the answer with respect to the law in Canada.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's specifically the transfer of money from the UK to Canada. I understand her estate will automatically pay the 50% tax due in the UK before any monies are distributed. Yes, what would happen to it when it is transferred here?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
In Canada there is no inheritance tax so you don't pay any tax when you get paid your inheritance. You will only be taxed on any income earned after the money is transferred to you. If you pay tax on that in the UK then you would get a foreign tax credit for any taxes paid in the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good to know. Thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.